Drambuie Experiment #2 was a blazing success. The recipe below is very close to Drambuie and is absolutely excellent. I used my own raw honey in it, and I’m of the opinion it’s every bit as good as the much hyped heather honey in Drambuie! The beverage, like Drambuie, is 80 proof (40% alcohol).
- 1.75 liter (L) Chivas Regal Scotch (blended)
- 1.75 L 151 Everclear (75.5% alcohol)
- 1.75 L raw honey
- 5 rounded tablespoons Fennel seed
(One liter is about a quart)
Mix the alcohol. Crush the fennel seed in a mortar and pestle and add to the alcohol mixture. Bottle with as little head-space as possible and leave for three days; invert mixture daily. Then strain out the fennel seed and mix in the honey. Mix the alcohol in in small amounts until the honey loosens up enough to add to the bulk of the alcohol. Bottle with as little head-space as possible. Mine is a little cloudy, and if this is a concern: (1) siphon the alcohol mix off of the fennel instead of straining it (with straining fine particulates always get through), and (2) use refined honey.
It’s a pretty simple recipe — much easier than Limoncello — and the cost is much less than buying Drambuie.
750 ml of Drambuie costs about $35.
This recipe will cost about $12/750 ml bottle if the honey is free:
- 1.75 L of blended Chivas Regal Scotch costs about $55.
- 1.75 L of 151 Everclear costs about $30.
- With the honey, this recipe will make about 5.25 L: 7 bottles.
- ($30 + $50)/5.25*0.75 = $12. If you pay for the honey, every $14 (the cost for the needed amount of Sue Bee honey at Walmart) will add $2 per 750 ml bottle.
- Total savings: ($35-$12)*7 = $161
At 80 proof it will keep forever, and will make nice presents for your adult friends!